Teeth whitening is one of the safest and conservative forms of Cosmetic dental treatments allowing the natural colour of your teeth to be lightened without removing any tooth surface. The ‘active ingredient’ in teeth whitening is usually hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. As the active ingredient is broken down, oxygen gets into the enamel on the teeth and the tooth colour is made lighter. We use Enlighten teeth whitening system, it is the only system to guarantee that the teeth will get to a VITA shade B1 which is the whitest shade on a regular dentist shade guide.
Teeth Whitening will only lighten natural tooth substance. It will not work on any types of false tooth such as fillings, dentures, crowns and veneers. If your dentures are stained or discoloured visit your dentist and ask for them to be cleaned. Stained veneers, crown, fillings, bridges or dentures may need replacing; again ask at your consultation.
- Combination Enlighten Teeth Whitening
You are given Enlighten teeth whitening syringes to whiten your teeth at home for two weeks. After this a high concentration teeth whitening gel is carefully applied for 2 sessions of 20 minutes in surgery on the 15th day of whitening. The hydrogen peroxide in the gel penetrates the enamel and removes underlying stains and discolouration. The results should last many months, depending on your lifestyle. The advantage with combination bleaching is that it is done in a controlled and gradual way. To maintain maximum brightness we recommend you invest in some top up syringes to maintain your new white smile! These syringes can be purchased at your examination.
7 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT TEETH WHITENING.
1. Teeth Whitening is safe. If carried out by a trained dental professional whitening is perfectly safe. At Wycherleys dental practice, based on our knowledge of your oral health Dr Ashok Jakhu will discuss with you the options available, decide if tooth whitening is appropriate for you and develop an overall treatment plan that gives the desired result
2. Only trained dental professionals can whiten teeth. It is illegal for anyone other than dentists or their teams to carry out teeth whitening. Anyone else offering teeth whitening (e.g. Beauticians, hairdressers and salon staff) won’t have the right training and knowledge, could permanently damage your teeth and gums and can’t help you when something goes wrong.
3. The preferred option. Teeth whitening won’t remove the surface of your teeth or change their shape. It’s often a better option than alternatives, such as veneers, because it doesn’t involve permanently altering the tooth’s structure and is easy to look after.
4. Selecting the right product for you. Dr Ashok Jakhu is trained to know what teeth whitening products will be safe for your teeth and gums. Products provided by non-dentists often do not have enough safety data and evidence to support their use; this can result in burned gums and/or blistered lips or even more serious consequences. Using products that are not appropriate for you will provide poor results.
5. How it works. A carefully-controlled concentration of teeth whitening bleach is applied to your teeth using specially-made trays that fit in your mouth. Dr Jakhu will be able to discuss with you the level of whitening you want and give you an idea of how many treatments you may need to achieve the shade you’re after.
6. What to expect. You may experience some sensitivity for a short time during your treatment but this is normal and will soon fade away after completion.
7. Over the counter kits may not be safe. The products you can buy online or from high street shops often fail to declare precise chemicals used so it’s very difficult to assess their safety. Because of this they should not be considered safe. These products won’t produce the same good results you can expect by Wycherley’s Dental Practice.
For more information: www.bda.org/whitening
Taken from BDA News.
Enlighten Whitening – Regional Centre of Excellence
Limited time only, get £100 off Enlighten professional tooth whitening
Guaranteed B1 shade
Usually £655 Now £555!
Price includes consultation with x-rays (usually £76) and a free top-up syringe (usually £60)
If you’re searching for teeth whitening in the
- Oakengates, Telford
- St Georges, Telford
- Wellington, Telford
- Dawley, Telford
- Madeley, Telford
- Donnington, Telford
- Muxton, Telford
or the surrounding Shropshire areas then please contact Wycherley’s Dental Practice 01952 459459